Ok, so in yet ANOTHER attempt to fill the void in our finances by my quitting my job, I've tried hard over the last couple of weeks to learn the grocery game.. which is basically just using coupons to the best of their ability and paying attention to when you can stock up and save money, if not get things for free...
I've subscribed to the Sunday Advocate and am an avid coupon cutter, and have just started to learn the tricks of the trade in order to actually start saving money. So far I've found that the best deals come from either WinnDixie or CVS. Both of which I've had success in the past trying to get deals on things... so this isn't a huge stretch for me...
My largest problem to date is impulse buying. I can go in a store for three things and leave with 20 becuase I decided while in there that I needed them. I am REALLY trying to cut back on this.. and I've started planning my grocery trips in an effort to help myself in this area.
I'll will share my last two shopping trips that I'm super proud of, not just because of a reduced amount of impulse buys but a large amount of savings that I didn't realize was possible really.
I did our grocery shopping at WinnDixie this week and saved a total of 48.72 between sale items, BOGOs and coupons I had. (This even included a splurge on a steak dinner that we really didn't need, but I'd been craving some red meat lately...)
I needed to go to CVS for rubber gloves today (to use while eating crawfish, so that I wouldn't have to continually wash my hands because of the baby, not becuase I'm a southern wuss... ;o) ). So this morning I was sure to check out the ad really well and this is what I found.. sorry is the below is boring, but I'm still learning and recapping what happened is the best way for me.
Clearasil facewash sale 3.99(from 5.49) with 3.99 in extra bucks (EB) = free..
revlon nail polish sale 3.99(from 4.99) with 3.00 EB = .99 had a $1.00 coupon (Q) = -.01
neutrogena baby sunscreen 9.99(from 10.99) and 11.99(from 13.99) with 10.00EB when you buy two= 12.00 had a 2.00Q =10.00
colgate total toothpaste 2.99(from 3.49) with 2.00EB= .99 had 1.00Q = -.01
so I checked out at this point... spent 32.08 and got 19.00 in EB to spend.
oreos BOGOF at 4.59 (so yes I realize that this is higher than they are when you buy them elsewhere, it was close to an impulse buy, and I'll know better next time..)
bandaids sale 2.99(from 3.49) with 2.00 EB=.99 had .50Q= .49
colgate wisps(really just wanted to try them) 1.99(from 2.59) had .50Q =1.49
the gloves I went in there for 8.49
white knee highs (to make a headband for Sadie) 1.29
So checked out all this stuff too... used all my EB from the first buy and ended up that they owed me .43 cents... so I got a pack of gum, gave them a dollar and ended up with .40 change.. so I spent .60 on that transaction.
Meaning... went to CVS, bought 66.06 worth of stuff for 32.68... (with another 2.00EB I still have...) I think it turned out ok.
I'm sure there is a better way to do this... by splitting it up better and using the last thing of EB maybe, those who know me know that I'll stay up tonight be sure that i find the best way to play this game now that I've tried... ;O)
I've already realized that there are things I didn't think about that I should have, like playtex tampons are currently 3.99 with 3.00EB=.99 for a box... (I haven't had to worry about that in so long, I don't even look at those ads, but that's a great deal..plus I'm sure there were coupons for these in the paper I didn't clip becuase i wasn't thinking ahead...) Also, if you're a coke fan, coke products are 4/11.00 (the ad actually says Caffeine free diet coke, but usually more than that are included in the sale)
I also found a favorite CVS to shop at... I'll admit it's a bit more cramped, and not quite as well laid out as I'd like, but the man at CVS on the corner of Lavey and Main in Baker was hilarious today, and I'd like to go back there just because of him... funny funny man, that didn't mind if I had him check me out four times instead of just two.. ;o) always I plus when playing the grocery game I've been told.
There are a few things I still have to learn... how does it work when you have a BOGOF coupon and the product in the store is 2/$5.00... do you get 2 for 2.50? What if I have a BOGOF coupon on something that's on sale BOGOF? Then do I end up getting 3 for the price of one? (one at store price with one free and then another for the price of one on the other coupon... but shouldn't that show up like a second purchase, and that would be it would be bound by the BOGOF in the store meaning I should get 4 for the price of one...) man this can really give you a headache...
Anyways, I'm sorry if this was found to be a complete waste of time.. I'm really excited at making a difference in our grocery bills, and for me it's a challenge and a puzzle, and I can't wait to get better at it. Jules (my SIL) has been playing the game for a while and she says she'll buy multiple papers on weeks she knows there's supposed to be good coupons and just wait to use them... she's got a pantry full of "overstock" on everyday things like soap and toothpaste and brushes of items that she got free.... neat.
All in all it makes me really proud to see the "YOU SAVED..." at the bottom of a receipt now.
Had, just had an idea... I think I'll go to CVS tomorrow and get tampons and another thing of bandaids (both .99 after EB) and use the 2.00 in EB I have from today... meaning I'll owe tax on 1.98 tomorrow and come home with another 5.00EB... ;o) man this is going to be a fun game for me.. !!
Sunday, May 24, 2009
Grocery Game
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
This is something I need to get in a habbit of! Groceries just get more and more expensive every time I go to the store and we're not making more money, lol, so what the heck?! Coupons are something I recently started digging for, but I need to be more consistent with it! Thanks for the motivation. :o)
Hey girl!! I have a wonderful opportunity for you! I am employed with Premier Designs High Fashion Jewelry. We are having a opportunity meeting on Tuesday June 16th at 6:30 at the De Angelos on Jefferson Hwy. I would LOVE for you to come be my guest and learn about the business. There will be pizza for you and a little something special from me! Who knows you might find out that you love it and want to become part of the family!!! There is no obligation just come listen and eat!!! If Josh wants to come that would be great as well. Let me know what you think!
Sounds like you are getting the hang of it all. I have enough trouble remembering to bring the Pampers $1 off coupon when I buy diapers.
Post a Comment