CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, December 14, 2008

"Mamaw" Mary Grace Lewis

My great grandmother, the only one still living, passed away at 2pm yesterday. She was 94 years old, and had one of the kindest hearts. She used to tell us stories about how she ran away to marry my Poppa when she was 14, and how they bult their house with their own hands. The house that she was lucky enough to stay in, until she passed. Poppa would be so proud of her for remaining as independent as always, and being strong enough to still cook even at 94.

Mamaw won't get to meet baby Sadie, whom she told us she ordered "special from God" to have the same blonde curly hair and blue eyes that Gavin has... this makes me really sad, because Mamaw loved her Grandchildren, and her Great Grandchildren, and her Great Great Grandchildren with more love every day she got to see them... but I know that Mamaw's happier now, and healthy, and smiling down on us from heaven.

Gavin's too young to understand death, so we haven't even talked about it to him yet, and I'm not sure what I'm going to do about the funeral on tuesday... I think it would be better to leave him with Mrs. Tracy or Rob and Teri, but I don't know what i'm going to do about the visitation on Monday night yet.

Mamaw was greatly loved by her family, and the HUGE extended family she had at Blackwater Methodist Church. Where for more years that I can imagine she was the story lady, and the kids would come to her house on Sunday's once a month or so for her great stories, which she was never short on.

I think my favorite story, and the one she liked to tell me the most was about the time that my daddy helped her deliver a calf in the backyard when the hefer was having trouble. I guess the mixed image of my 6'4" great grandmother and my 15-16 year old dad in the yard arms grasping at a birthing calf has always seemed like it was such an odd sight it's always made me smile.

While Mamaw lived a wonderful, and fulfilled life... and lived with more love than anyone I know, she will be missed, and loved, forever.

1 comments:

Amber said...

So sorry to hear this Casey. You and your family are in my prayers. Let me know if you need anything...love ya!